- There is a wide range of resources that can be used to support a topic or project.
- Use the subject index in the Library to find the dewey number. If the keyword is not available, think wider.
- Use the computer inquiry system to check resources currently available within school.
- Check the shelves to see what is available on the topic on the shelves.
- A visit to a local Library may be useful.
- Extension research - Central Resource Library at Welwyn Garden City - please contact 03001234049 for help
- Periodicals both current and back copies. Index is available to help search back copies.
- 700 plus Information folders (filed using the dewey system) newspaper articles, charity pamphlets etc.
- Encyclopedias, too, are a good source of information.
- DVDs/Cds: arranged on the shelves in subject order.
- Folders on specific areas; for example: Art Exhibitions, Sculptors, Business, Authors, Architecture, Poets, etc.
- Use the internet; check with Librarians as to any quality sites that they may have already discovered.
Of course, you can ask the Librarians for help.
Code of Conduct
The Library can become very busy during break and lunch times.
To ensure that all students can work safely and productively, we operate a simple code of conduct:
- Correct school uniform must be worn at all times.
- Bags should be put in the cloak area – no bags or coats are to be taken into the Library.
- Eating is not allowed in the Library.
- Students should have a clear purpose for their visit or use the Library for private reading.
- Students should follow the school's 3 R's: Respect, Responsibility and Relationships.
- Only one student to each computer.
- Students should leave the area tidy.
Students will be asked to leave the Library if they break the code of conduct
Frequently asked questions
- When is the Library open? It is open from 8.30 a.m. to 4.15 p.m. (4 p.m. on Friday)
- How much is a replacement membership card? 40p.
- When is home based learning club? It is open on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3pm to 4pm. You do not have to come every day.
- Can I take out a book without my membership card? Yes, but it is preferable to always have it in school as it is part of a student‘s school equipment.
- Can I lend another student my membership card? No.
- Do I need a membership card to take out a book? No.
- How much does it cost to have a photocopy? A4: 5p A3: 10p
- How much does it cost to borrow a DVD? No fee, but cannot be taken out if you have an overdue book.
- Is the internet available at breaktime or lunch time? Yes.
- How many books can I borrow? Years 7 to 9: 4 books. Years 10 and 11: 5 books Years 12 and 13: 10 books