Fiction: housed on wooden shelving
The books are arranged in alphabetical order by author e.g. Jacqueline Wilson would be shelved under ‘W‘. Some of the fiction books also are shelved in themed areas as well as having an identifying symbol. For example:
|Shorter reads (100 words approx)
|Fiction for Years 10/11
|Fiction for Years 12/13
- Graphic novels, similar to a comic format.
- Themed reading lists may help you to discover a new author.
- Books can be taken out for three weeks.
Non fiction: housed on yellow shelving
- Use the subject index; if the search term is not in the subject index, think wider for another term.
- Using the white guidance signs, find the dewey number on the shelves.
- Evaluate the books to see which book / dvd is more appropriate to suit the topic.
Many non fiction books can be taken out for three weeks. However, a lot of books, particularly A level and Art books, can only be taken out for seven days, Books can be renewed.
Using the Library Catalogue Inquiry System
Library catalogue inquiry system is available to search for title, authors, series, research for projects. Items can also be reserved via this system too.